Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Curse of the Were-Rabbit: Airfix Anti-Pesto Van Seat upgrade

The only screen shot we get of the bottom side of the seats is during the opening credits as Wallace and Gromit are lifted into the Van from underground.

I trimmed off the 'feet' from the original kit. These seat frames are inaccurate to the show and even an original Austin A35. They also made the chairs sit too low for my liking. In reviewing the film, the top of the back rest sits just under the back walls window. Another missing detail is the ribbing stitched around the seat and the back support.

I designed in AutoCAD the bottom of the seats as I saw it in the screen shot above, and gave them some extra height. I uploaded the .stl to shapeways.com and had them 3D printed.
Once the parts arrived, I glued them to the bottom. I had to also sand down the tabs on the frame where the original seat supports were supposed to line up. I like how the turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment