Thursday, December 2, 2010

Detroit Zoo Snow Globe Part 1

The Detroit Zoo Snow Globe has become a fan favorite. The Detroit Zoo had not previously released a snow globe similar to the one seen in Coraline, but due its popularity, they are now and they are available in either the gift shop or by phone (248) 541-5717 ext. 3274). Here is an interesting article about creating the snow globe.
The Detroit Zoo Snow Globe isn't identical to the screen used prop, so I think I am going to make one for myself. I will pick up a 'Make-your-own-snow-globe' kit, sculpt the bears and fountain, mold it, cast it, paint it, and slap it together. Should make for an interesting new project. The prop does appear
to have subtle differences between each scale the globe was made in. The larger globe has more detail then the smaller one obviously. So I will have to take some creative license in re-creating it. Progress pics as I go (Probably wont be soon). Maybe someday my wife and I will visit the Detroit Zoo and re-create the picture of Coraline and her family in front of the fountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment